Monday 9 March 2009

So What's A Tri-Dangerthon ? ....

in aid of


Hi and welcome to my mad world !

If it's Ok with you, I'll start from the beginning and then you'll get the whole picture of where I'm coming from and going to.

Back in 2003 I was reading through the MCN newspaper (Motorcycle News) and came across an article about a 2000km trip across India on a Royal Enfield Bullet motorbike, all in aid of charity. This being their very first trip which was organised by a chap called Simon Smith and his company Enduro India. Since that very first adventure, the company have organised one every year and here is what Simon has to say -

"The last six Enduro India events were simply awesome, so many amazing people took part and the route was staggering in it's beauty. Being able to have such a special personal experience whilst making a real difference to others less fortunate is extremely satisfying for myself, the team and all who take part.India is in my blood and it's the perfect place to ride a motorcycle. The terrain is always changing and you simply never know what magic each new day will bring. The experiences are in stark contrast to each other, ranging from dense wildlife reserves to high mountains, from hot arid desert plains to chaotic cities, that's what's so refreshing about riding in India. You never settle into a boring routine and it opens you up to new experiences.The trips we've organised across Southern India over the last five years were enormous successes. The events involved over 800 people travelling 2,000 kilometres 'dawn 'til dusk' riding in 10 days. Since 2003 we have raised nearly £1,000,000 including the motorcycle donations and this has made us want to continue building on what is already well known as the 'must have' tour across the sub-continent. Riding en masse across this type of terrain with 100 like minded people is a very special feeling. I also realise that an extremely positive change comes over people returning from India. People have re-evaluated what they feel is important to them. I like that. This year will see the Enduro India team taking on new areas, creating new mind blowing routes catering for a wide range of abilities. Travelling in India also helps me to put life in perspective, so the more I go there the clearer it all becomes!"
Simon Smith, Enduro India


So, with this in mind, let's fast forward to 2006. This was the year for the very first time, I had written down some very clear, concise and definite goals that I wanted to achieve and you've guessed it, taking part in Enduro India was on that list of goals! I set it out that I would take part in the year of my 40th birthday, 2010. That was over 3 years ago and last week I sent a deposit to Enduro India for £500. My dream has now begun.

The Enduro India event has now been extended to 14 days and 2500km, making it even greater but at the same time more gruelling than before. This isn't just a tootle around a few back roads on a Sunday afternoon, no siree, this is 12 to 14 hours a day in the saddle on a vintage design motorcycle in extreme heat on extreme surfaces! It's going to be tough but I'm doing it for 2 BIG reasons - 1. I know I will take so much from doing this and 2. I will be giving so much by doing it. This is where you come in, I need to raise at least £5000 to take part in this event, I would like to raise £10,000 + . So let me introduce you to the charities that will benefit from this (click below to learn more about these charities) -










So what's a Tri-Dangerthon? I here you say. Well, it's a word I made up to describe what it is I shall be doing, to raise money for the proposed charities. I decided that I should put myself and my nerves to the test and came up with the idea of carrying out, not just one mad, crazy, dangerous feat but 3! Over the next few months I will -

1. Jump from an areoplane at 13000ft

2. Learn to wheelie a motorcycle and then perform the stunt over a pre-determined distance

3. The Finale - ride 2500km across India on a classic motorcycle

...and so there we have what I call a Tri-Dangerthon!


I also want to introduce you to one other charity that is very close to my heart -


and this charity will also benefit from your kind sponsorship of my Tri-Dangerthon.






The reason I have chosen this charity is that our 7 (nearly 8) year old son, Jamie, is Down's Syndrome. He is a wonderful little boy and I wouldn't change him for the world and we find it amazing that we have learnt as much from him as he has from us.

Jamie attends a mainstream junior school and is a very popular lad. At the moment he is learning to swim and in the summer we can't get him off his trampoline! He loves being around his older sister and brother, Jade and Matt and gets up to all sorts of mischief with his younger cousins, Tilly and Jack. We class ourselves as very fortunate that Jamie is fit and healthy but that is not always the case with Down's Syndrome children. Therefore the Down's Syndrome Association need all the help they can get to help others that need a lot more care and attention. As for Jamie, well, there's not much chance of him missing out on any attention....we certainly know he's around!! :-)


So, I'm attempting 3 mad, bad and dangerous events, in aid of 4 charities and You Can Help me, please, by donating as much as you can by clicking on any of the donate buttons on this blog. I will be updating this blog on a regular basis so please follow me to keep on track with how things are going. I will upload pictures and even video of the events as and when they happen, so you can have great pleasure in seeing me and some of my friends, what we would call, 'brickin' it'!

More Than Just Donations....Volunteers Required.

Right now, I am looking for volunteers to come with me on the Skydive, this isn't because I daren't do it on my own (well maybe :-) ) but because I figured the more there were the more money could be raised. So if you would like to Skydive for charity, please contact me.

Or Would You Like To Be A Corporate Sponsor ?

To raise even more cash and to achieve the £10,000 target I have set, I will need a number of corporate sponsors to donate. In return we will ensure that your company gets maximum coverage at all the events and in any marketing that we carry out. If you would be interested in being one of our corporate sponsors, please contact me.


That's it for my first blog, please leave any comments you may have and don't forget to..........


'DONATE' as much as you can, Thank You. :-)





All the best,

Rich Vincent





No comments:

Post a Comment